Monday, January 2, 2017

Week 77...Sarrat Philippines

The Great Commandment...

  Bye Sarrat :(
"Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment." (Matthew 22:36-38)

I don't know how many more times I have to learn and relearn this one lesson on my mission and through the rest of my life, but I pray I'm catching on. But I am so greatful that the Lord considers me worthy of His love and His reproof.  I have learned to "despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he recieveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?" (Hebrews 12:6-8)

Sometimes we wonder when the Lord will stop taking away and start giving again. But as long as we have the attitude that we think the Lord is indebted to us to give, we will find ourselves to be whiners and complainers and as ungrateful children. Yes the Lord gives and bountifully, but He also takes away. There is nothing the we have that the Lord hasn't given us, and nothing He has given to us that He cant take away.

From the 4th missionary by Lawrence Colbridge:  Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis the Lord says to us: "Give me all. I don't want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work: I want You. All of you. I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man. but to kill it. No half-measures will do. I don't want to only prune a branch here and another there; rather, I want the whole tree out. Hand it all over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them all over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you Myself. My will, shall become your will. My heart, shall become your heart." (Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis, p. 167)


God will make more of us than we could ever make of ourselves, and we just have to trust Him.

Well that's my spiritual schpeel for the week haha.

Sorry I couldn't write last week. Please forgive. A crap ton has happened over the past two weeks. We had a white Christmas in Sarrat and it was wonderful! We baptized Jhay R and Vilma! That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm part of Presidents  new year mission make over transfer plan and I'm transferring again. :( Its frustrating because I love Sarrat and I love the members and I love my companion and I was only there for just over a month. I'm transferring 10  minutes down the road and now I am the Zone Leader of the biggest zone in the entire mission with my new companion, Elder Costales, who just got released from his special assignment to be branch president for one of the weaker branches here in the mission. We are in charge of 36 missionaries and a lot of them are 'under observation so I kind of see my self as the the warden of the probation zone haha.

Yesterday we had MLC so my pday is today. I'm excited to train the zone on Thursday!

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year everyone! I know its been good! I love you all and I promise I will be better at writing these weekly emails!






No comments:

Post a Comment